Israeli warplanes bombed multiple sites in the Gaza Strip, while ground troops killed a Palestinian during what officials called an “arrest raid” in the occupied West Bank, as hawkish members of the coalition government continue to scream for escalation against the Palestinians.
Palestinians are deeply critical of the ongoing escalation of Israeli strikes and collective punishment, noting that Israel has revived the policy of demolishing the homes of “suspects” in the kidnapping/murder case, and that Israeli troops ransacked the house before blowing it up.
Israeli rights groups were petitioning the nation’s High Court to stop the military from such revenge attacks on suspects, though the court rejected, insisting the military has ultimate authority to launch any attacks it believes will be of “deterrence” value.
Israeli hawks may be in for an unpleasant surprise, however, as top diplomatic officials warn that while the international community was willing to overlook more or less anything during the search for the teens, the recovery of their bodies could seriously limit Israel’s ability to get away with much further escalation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Struggles to Find Destinations for ISIS Detainees in Syria - July 18th, 2018
- Syrian Rebel City of Nawa Surrenders After Intense Airstrikes - July 18th, 2018
- Trump: Russia Doesn't Pose a Threat to US - July 18th, 2018
- Russia Urges UN to Mull Easing North Korea Sanctions Amid Diplomatic Progress - July 18th, 2018
- Israel Approves Jewish Nation-State Law in Narrow Vote - July 18th, 2018