ISIS forces are on the Jordanian-Iraqi border, and even if this is a long, long way away from Israel, that’s no reason Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu won’t use it as the newest excuse against Palestinian statehood.
In his comments today, Netanyahu hyped the “ISIS threat,” saying that it proved Israel needs to keep the West Bank-Jordan border to defend itself from any potential ISIS incursions from Jordan.
Though the border region is virtually bereft of settlements, Netanyahu and other hawks in the Israeli government have long opposed allowing the region to be ceded to an independent Palestinian state.
Without the Jordan border, “Palestine” would have no borders at all, and would simply be a walled in fraction of the West Bank set up as a Bantustan, eternally surrounded by Israel.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Putin: Israeli Air Raid a Breach of Syria's Sovereignty - September 18th, 2018
- Yemen Fishing Boat Attacked by Frigate Off Coast, 18 Fishermen Killed - September 18th, 2018
- Russian DM: Israeli Warplanes Caused Shoot-down of Russian Plane Near Syria; 15 Troops Killed - September 18th, 2018
- Taliban Kill at Least 27 Security Forces in Attacks Across Afghanistan - September 17th, 2018
- Iraq to Deploy More Troops to Turkey Border - September 17th, 2018