Video Shows Aging T-72 Tanks Rolling Through Donetsk Oblast
Ukrainian officials are claiming something of a Russian invasion against the eastern separatist-held region of the country today, releasing video of three aging T-72 main battle tanks rolling through the streets of Snizhne, in eastern Donetsk Oblast.
Ukraine claims the tanks, backed by armored personnel carriers, “snuck into” Donetsk across the border, at checkpoints held by the rebels. Russia denied the report and said they had no information about the tanks.
The T-72 was the backbone of the Soviet Union’s armored forces, and both Ukraine and Russia’s militaries have thousands stored in reserve. It is unclear who is in control of these three particular tanks, though there is some speculation that the rebels acquired them somehow.
Ukraine is insisting that the tanks are proof Russia is arming the rebels, though that is unclear at this point, and indeed, three T-72 tanks don’t seem likely to amount to a serious game-changer on the ground.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel to Demolish Palestinian Homes for Settler-Only Road in East Jerusalem - February 20th, 2017
- Top North Korean Officials Still Seek to Go to US for Talks - February 20th, 2017
- New Ceasefire in East Ukraine Holding Successfully - February 20th, 2017
- Turkish Airstrikes Kill 11 Civilians in Central al-Bab - February 20th, 2017
- Commander: US Forces Getting Closer to Front Lines in Iraq - February 20th, 2017