Video Shows Aging T-72 Tanks Rolling Through Donetsk Oblast
Ukrainian officials are claiming something of a Russian invasion against the eastern separatist-held region of the country today, releasing video of three aging T-72 main battle tanks rolling through the streets of Snizhne, in eastern Donetsk Oblast.
Ukraine claims the tanks, backed by armored personnel carriers, “snuck into” Donetsk across the border, at checkpoints held by the rebels. Russia denied the report and said they had no information about the tanks.
The T-72 was the backbone of the Soviet Union’s armored forces, and both Ukraine and Russia’s militaries have thousands stored in reserve. It is unclear who is in control of these three particular tanks, though there is some speculation that the rebels acquired them somehow.
Ukraine is insisting that the tanks are proof Russia is arming the rebels, though that is unclear at this point, and indeed, three T-72 tanks don’t seem likely to amount to a serious game-changer on the ground.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Led Airstrikes Kill 10 Civilians in Syria - October 18th, 2014
- Iraq Approves New Defense, Interior Ministers - October 18th, 2014
- Pentagon Readying for Long War in Iraq, Syria - October 17th, 2014
- ISIS 'Retreats' From Kobani, But US Says Town May Yet Fall - October 17th, 2014
- Russia, Ukraine Nearing Winter Natural Gas Deal - October 17th, 2014