In comments that likely aim to build up her foreign policy reputation as a hawk, even as she seeks to distance herself from the Iraq War, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton insisted she was immediately and vociferously in favor of arming and training rebels in Syria’s Civil War.
There were reports during the early days of Syria’s war that this was Clinton’s position, but the new comments, part of her upcoming memoir, are the first formal acknowledgement of the dispute over arms shipments, which President Obama opposed at the time.
Not that this marks a significant split from the administration, as since then President Obama has been cheerfully, though unofficially, orchestrating shipments of anti-tank missiles and other weapons to so-called “moderate” rebels.
Likewise, the definition of “moderate” rebels seems to be expanded greatly now, including seemingly everything that doesn’t have al-Qaeda directly in its name, as even factions of the Islamic Front, whose leaders have praised Osama bin Laden and talk up their relative close ties to al-Qaeda’s parent organization, have shown up with US weapons in recent weeks.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Claims ISIS 'Rebuilding' in Syria as Turkey Invasion Distracts From Fight - March 19th, 2018
- Turkey's Erdogan Vows Wider Offensive Against US-Backed Syrian Kurds - March 19th, 2018
- Russia Demands British Apology as EU, NATO Express Solidarity With Britain - March 19th, 2018
- Trump, Kim Summit Likely to Be Held in DMZ Village - March 19th, 2018
- Afghan Special Forces Slaughter Farmers in Chaotic Errant Attack - March 19th, 2018