Kerry cited assurances from Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas that none of the ministers were actually members of Hamas. The unity government, between Fatah and Hamas, is made up of bureaucrats holding the positions pending a new election.
Kerry went on to insist that the US doesn’t “recognize” the Palestinian government as a government, “because that would recognize a state and there is no state.” Though Israel has condemned the agreement to work with the unity government, analysts believe that Israel will largely do the same thing as a matter of necessity.
Though the administration is desperate to avoid the appearance of public ties with Hamas, recent reports have confirmed months of secret US-Hamas talks in the lead up to the unity agreement.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cleric Sadr Calls for Delay in Forming Iraqi Govt as Protests Grow - July 19th, 2018
- Putin: Talks on Extending START Nuclear Treaty Must Start Now - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Invites Putin to White House for Second Summit - July 19th, 2018
- Afghan Defense Ministry Confirms Civilians Killed in Kunduz Airstrike - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Says Critics Badly Want War With Russia - July 19th, 2018