Kerry cited assurances from Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas that none of the ministers were actually members of Hamas. The unity government, between Fatah and Hamas, is made up of bureaucrats holding the positions pending a new election.
Kerry went on to insist that the US doesn’t “recognize” the Palestinian government as a government, “because that would recognize a state and there is no state.” Though Israel has condemned the agreement to work with the unity government, analysts believe that Israel will largely do the same thing as a matter of necessity.
Though the administration is desperate to avoid the appearance of public ties with Hamas, recent reports have confirmed months of secret US-Hamas talks in the lead up to the unity agreement.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Assembling a Team for Upcoming North Korea Summit - March 16th, 2018
- US Shifts Toward Harsher Stance on Russia With Sanctions and Condemnation - March 16th, 2018
- Putin Furious After Britain Says He Ordered Attack - March 16th, 2018
- Cluster Bombs Reportedly Dropped on Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 16th, 2018
- Turkey Attacks Hospital in Syria's Afrin, Killing Nine - March 16th, 2018