Secretary of State John Kerry today defended Israel’s hostility to the incoming Palestinian unity government, insisting their response was entirely appropriate, and saying he thinks the US can get peace talks restarted.
Though Kerry claimed “Netanyahu and Israel are waiting to see what happens,” the Israeli government reacted to initial reports of a unity deal by declaring all future peace talks impossible.
Today, Israel vowed that it would blame Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas for everything Hamas does from the formation of the unity government onward.
Of course, Israel already blames Hamas for everything done by anyone in the Gaza Strip, and blames the Palestinians in general for everything done there and elsewhere, so this isn’t so much a change in policy as a reiteration of their ongoing belligerence toward Palestinian unity.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Palestinian Authority Threatens to Cut All Gaza Funds - August 21st, 2017
- Report: ISIS Attacks Grew in 2016, Despite Shrinking Territory - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Promises to 'Deal With Pakistan' on Afghan War - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Declares Open-Ended War in Afghanistan - August 21st, 2017
- Trump's Pentagon to Spend Nearly $500 Million on Gitmo Construction - August 21st, 2017