Secretary of State John Kerry today defended Israel’s hostility to the incoming Palestinian unity government, insisting their response was entirely appropriate, and saying he thinks the US can get peace talks restarted.
Though Kerry claimed “Netanyahu and Israel are waiting to see what happens,” the Israeli government reacted to initial reports of a unity deal by declaring all future peace talks impossible.
Today, Israel vowed that it would blame Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas for everything Hamas does from the formation of the unity government onward.
Of course, Israel already blames Hamas for everything done by anyone in the Gaza Strip, and blames the Palestinians in general for everything done there and elsewhere, so this isn’t so much a change in policy as a reiteration of their ongoing belligerence toward Palestinian unity.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Afghan Rights Group: Many War Crimes Committed in Ghazni Battle - August 15th, 2018
- US to Send More Marines to Norway, Angering Russia - August 15th, 2018
- Gaza Ceasefire Goes Into Effect, Israel Opens Border Crossing to Goods - August 15th, 2018
- Slain Bus Full of Children Raises Questions About US Role in Yemen War - August 15th, 2018
- US Military Spending Bill Could Target al-Jazeera as 'Foreign Agent' - August 15th, 2018