Reports citing senior administration officials say President Obama is planning to announce direct training of Syrian rebels in the coming days, saying it would focus on “moderate” factions and aimed at stemming the power of al-Qaeda’s factions in the rebellion.
The US has already been organizing major training operations in Jordan and Qatar for the rebels, and the CIA has reportedly played a key role in the training.
A new PBS documentary on the training operation in Qatar is also bringing added focus to the policy as it already exists, with trainees saying they were being taught “how to finish off soldiers still alive after an ambush.”
The US has already poured hundreds of millions of dollars into training and arming the “moderate” factions, but they are increasingly irrelevant across Syria, as al-Qaeda in Iraq (AQI) and the Islamic Front dominate the north, and Jabhat al-Nusra, another al-Qaeda faction, controls most of the southern front.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- NATO Warns Russian Missile Might Violate Missile Treaty - December 15th, 2017
- US Allegations of Iran Missiles in Yemen Met With Skepticism - December 15th, 2017
- Mattis: North Korean Missiles Not a 'Capable Threat' Against US - December 15th, 2017
- Israeli Troops Kill Four Palestinians, Wound 160 at Friday Protests - December 15th, 2017
- Trump Allies: Tillerson Hasn't Learned His Lesson - December 15th, 2017