In addition to the billions in annual military aid the US already throws at Israel as a matter of course, the House of Representatives has added another $600 million in the pot, this time for missile defense subsidies.
Israel has several major missile defense systems, which by and large the IDF has decided are simply not cost effective. When such programs get defunded by Israel’s own government, the US seems eager to bankroll them.
The subsidies are part of the Qualitative Military Edge (QME) policy, which US hawks reiterated in the latest military spending bill as a pledge to “take all necessary steps to ensure that Israel possesses and maintains an independent capability to remove existential threats to its security.” Ironically, many of the QME bumps to Israel aid come as a direct result of US weapons sales to other nations in the region.
The amount approved by Congress is over double the $270 million sought by the Missile Defense Agency for funding to Israel, and is in keeping with long-standing Congressional efforts to paint themselves as pro-Israel by giving them ridiculous amounts of money.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Civilians Leave ISIS-Area in Eastern Syria After Evacuation Deal - September 22nd, 2017
- Catalonia Closes Ranks as Outrage over Crackdown Grows - September 22nd, 2017
- Spanish Prosecutors Formally Accuse Catalan Separatists of Sedition - September 22nd, 2017
- Thousands More Spanish Police Arrive for Catalonia Crackdown - September 22nd, 2017
- US-Made Bomb Killed 16 Civilians in Yemen's Capital - September 22nd, 2017