The Libyan Revolutionaries’ Operations Room (LROR), another of Libya’s many militia umbrella groups, has called for mass defections from the military and join them as the “true rebels” of the country, as the foreign ministry warned the security situation is increasingly out of control.
Despite dubbing themselves “rebels,” the Islamist militias of LROR officially answer to parliament, and are seeking to mobilize a force to reinstall them after Sunday’s takeover by General Khalifa Hifter, who in addition to his own self-proclaimed army now commands the loyalty of several actual portions of the military.
LROR mocked Hifter as a “loser,” saying Libya didn’t need him. They went on to say they consider all military actions as part of a de facto attempted coup and promised to see them prosecuted by the Justice Ministry.
Not all of the military has joined Gen. Hifter’s side, of course. The Navy remains overwhelmingly pro-parliament, and the Navy Chief of Staff is alive tonight after a failed assassination attempt. LROR’s call for defections didn’t differentiate, however, and seems aimed at bringing the whole pro-parliament faction in line under LROR control.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Seeks to Negotiate a Broad Treaty With Iran - September 19th, 2018
- Despite Pledge Not to, Germany Approves Sale of Arms to Saudi Arabia - September 19th, 2018
- State Dept: ISIS, al-Qaeda Adapting After Recent Losses - September 19th, 2018
- Thousands Return Home in Northwest Syria After Deal Prevents Offensive - September 19th, 2018
- North, South Korea to Form Joint Military Committee - September 19th, 2018