The Libyan Revolutionaries’ Operations Room (LROR), another of Libya’s many militia umbrella groups, has called for mass defections from the military and join them as the “true rebels” of the country, as the foreign ministry warned the security situation is increasingly out of control.
Despite dubbing themselves “rebels,” the Islamist militias of LROR officially answer to parliament, and are seeking to mobilize a force to reinstall them after Sunday’s takeover by General Khalifa Hifter, who in addition to his own self-proclaimed army now commands the loyalty of several actual portions of the military.
LROR mocked Hifter as a “loser,” saying Libya didn’t need him. They went on to say they consider all military actions as part of a de facto attempted coup and promised to see them prosecuted by the Justice Ministry.
Not all of the military has joined Gen. Hifter’s side, of course. The Navy remains overwhelmingly pro-parliament, and the Navy Chief of Staff is alive tonight after a failed assassination attempt. LROR’s call for defections didn’t differentiate, however, and seems aimed at bringing the whole pro-parliament faction in line under LROR control.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Kurds Warn Turkey's Threats Are a 'Declaration of War' - December 14th, 2018
- US-Backed Kurdish Forces Seize ISIS Town in Eastern Syria - December 14th, 2018
- Pompeo Downplays White House Differences With Senate on Saudi Arabia - December 14th, 2018
- US, South Korea Fail to Agree on Cost-Sharing for Military Deployment - December 14th, 2018
- Yemen Clashes Threaten Ceasefire in Hodeidah - December 14th, 2018