The Libyan Revolutionaries’ Operations Room (LROR), another of Libya’s many militia umbrella groups, has called for mass defections from the military and join them as the “true rebels” of the country, as the foreign ministry warned the security situation is increasingly out of control.
Despite dubbing themselves “rebels,” the Islamist militias of LROR officially answer to parliament, and are seeking to mobilize a force to reinstall them after Sunday’s takeover by General Khalifa Hifter, who in addition to his own self-proclaimed army now commands the loyalty of several actual portions of the military.
LROR mocked Hifter as a “loser,” saying Libya didn’t need him. They went on to say they consider all military actions as part of a de facto attempted coup and promised to see them prosecuted by the Justice Ministry.
Not all of the military has joined Gen. Hifter’s side, of course. The Navy remains overwhelmingly pro-parliament, and the Navy Chief of Staff is alive tonight after a failed assassination attempt. LROR’s call for defections didn’t differentiate, however, and seems aimed at bringing the whole pro-parliament faction in line under LROR control.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Official: US Takes North Korean Pacific H-Bomb Threat Seriously - September 22nd, 2017
- Israeli Warplanes Attack Damascus Airport - September 22nd, 2017
- New US Sanctions Target North Korea's Trading Partners, Banks - September 21st, 2017
- Catalan Officials: Police Raids Are a Blow to Referendum - September 21st, 2017
- Russia Warns It Would Retaliate Against US Forces in Syria If Provoked - September 21st, 2017