Ukraine’s military attacked two checkpoints between the eastern cities of Kramatorsk and Slovyansk overnight, destroying them and capturing three protesters, one of whom was reportedly armed with a rocket-propelled grenade launcher.
Interim government officials touted it as a great military success, having been carried out with no casualties. Destruction of checkpoints has happened off and on, with protesters quickly rebuilding the sites.
The military has been attacking Slovyansk and Kramatorsk off and on for weeks now, and while they have destroyed buildings on the outskirts, they’ve rarely got into the cities themselves for any major operations.
Protesters in the region are also warning they’re ready to go on the offensive, warning the military to dismantle its own checkpoints in Donetsk Oblast or the protesters will move in and dismantle them for them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Kills Top Afghan Officials in Insider Attack - October 18th, 2018
- US, Israel Send Secret Delegation to Ukraine to Train Against S-300 - October 17th, 2018
- Koreans Hold Talks With UN on Demilitarizing the Border - October 17th, 2018
- Pentagon Exaggerates ISIS Foreign Fighter Estimates to Justify Staying in Syria - October 17th, 2018
- Afghan Candidate Killed by Bomb Under His Office Chair - October 17th, 2018