Ukraine’s military attacked two checkpoints between the eastern cities of Kramatorsk and Slovyansk overnight, destroying them and capturing three protesters, one of whom was reportedly armed with a rocket-propelled grenade launcher.
Interim government officials touted it as a great military success, having been carried out with no casualties. Destruction of checkpoints has happened off and on, with protesters quickly rebuilding the sites.
The military has been attacking Slovyansk and Kramatorsk off and on for weeks now, and while they have destroyed buildings on the outskirts, they’ve rarely got into the cities themselves for any major operations.
Protesters in the region are also warning they’re ready to go on the offensive, warning the military to dismantle its own checkpoints in Donetsk Oblast or the protesters will move in and dismantle them for them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Philippine Police Conduct Door-to-Door Drug Tests in Manila's Poor Neighborhoods - August 23rd, 2017
- Lockheed, Raytheon Get Contracts for New Nuclear Cruise Missile - August 23rd, 2017
- 16 Years Into War, Taliban's Presence Across Afghanistan Growing - August 23rd, 2017
- Yemen's Houthis Ban Political Activity Ahead of Planned Capital Rally - August 23rd, 2017
- US Has Thousands More Troops in Afghanistan Than Official Figure - August 23rd, 2017