Ukraine’s military attacked two checkpoints between the eastern cities of Kramatorsk and Slovyansk overnight, destroying them and capturing three protesters, one of whom was reportedly armed with a rocket-propelled grenade launcher.
Interim government officials touted it as a great military success, having been carried out with no casualties. Destruction of checkpoints has happened off and on, with protesters quickly rebuilding the sites.
The military has been attacking Slovyansk and Kramatorsk off and on for weeks now, and while they have destroyed buildings on the outskirts, they’ve rarely got into the cities themselves for any major operations.
Protesters in the region are also warning they’re ready to go on the offensive, warning the military to dismantle its own checkpoints in Donetsk Oblast or the protesters will move in and dismantle them for them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Led Airstrikes Killed 472 Civilians in Syria in the Past Month - June 23rd, 2017
- US Narrows Counter-Extremism Program to Focus on Islamists - June 23rd, 2017
- Senator: US Strikes on Syrian Forces 'Unlawful' - June 23rd, 2017
- Kurds Warn Turkey's Buildup in North Syria Threatens Raqqa Invasion - June 23rd, 2017
- Senators Seek Clarification on US Role in Yemen Torture - June 23rd, 2017