US officials confirmed the deployment of approximately 200 marines to southern Italy to join the “crisis response” force that is constantly ready to move across the sea into Libya in the event of threats to the embassy in Tripoli.
The officials did not cite any specific threats, saying only that there was a general “deterioration of the security situation” in Tripoli right now. Indeed, that’s nothing new as the situation across Libya has been getting worse and worse for quite some time.
The State Department apparently requested the marines be moved closer in case a move was necessary, though they denied any “imminent plan” to evacuate the US embassy.
The Pentagon wouldn’t even admit Libya was a factor at all, despite it being confirmed by the State Department. The military’s statement cited only “general unrest in Northern Africa.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cleric Sadr Calls for Delay in Forming Iraqi Govt as Protests Grow - July 19th, 2018
- Putin: Talks on Extending START Nuclear Treaty Must Start Now - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Invites Putin to White House for Second Summit - July 19th, 2018
- Afghan Defense Ministry Confirms Civilians Killed in Kunduz Airstrike - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Says Critics Badly Want War With Russia - July 19th, 2018