The Ukrainian military invasion of the city of Kramatorsk suffered another setback today, when a militia loyal to the protesters ambushed an armored personnel carrier heading into town.
The militia was hiding in the bushes, and fired a rocket-propelled grenade at the APC, blowing it up and killing seven Ukrainian soldiers. A protracted gunfight ensued, during which one of the militia was killed and many others were wounded on both sides.
Including today’s deaths, Ukraine has confirmed 16 soldiers killed in their ongoing invasion of the eastern oblasts of Donetsk and Luhansk. The fighting has centered on the neighboring cities of Kramatorsk and Slovyansk in the north of Donetsk.
Ukraine’s interim government has promised to “liquidate” the protesters in the oblasts and return the areas to government control. A referendum held over the weekend affirmed the creation of an autonomous protester entity in the region called the People’s Republic of Donetsk, whose leadership aims at either increased autonomy or outright secession
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Claims ISIS 'Rebuilding' in Syria as Turkey Invasion Distracts From Fight - March 19th, 2018
- Turkey's Erdogan Vows Wider Offensive Against US-Backed Syrian Kurds - March 19th, 2018
- Russia Demands British Apology as EU, NATO Express Solidarity With Britain - March 19th, 2018
- Trump, Kim Summit Likely to Be Held in DMZ Village - March 19th, 2018
- Afghan Special Forces Slaughter Farmers in Chaotic Errant Attack - March 19th, 2018