The Ukrainian military invasion of the city of Kramatorsk suffered another setback today, when a militia loyal to the protesters ambushed an armored personnel carrier heading into town.
The militia was hiding in the bushes, and fired a rocket-propelled grenade at the APC, blowing it up and killing seven Ukrainian soldiers. A protracted gunfight ensued, during which one of the militia was killed and many others were wounded on both sides.
Including today’s deaths, Ukraine has confirmed 16 soldiers killed in their ongoing invasion of the eastern oblasts of Donetsk and Luhansk. The fighting has centered on the neighboring cities of Kramatorsk and Slovyansk in the north of Donetsk.
Ukraine’s interim government has promised to “liquidate” the protesters in the oblasts and return the areas to government control. A referendum held over the weekend affirmed the creation of an autonomous protester entity in the region called the People’s Republic of Donetsk, whose leadership aims at either increased autonomy or outright secession
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Led Airstrikes Killed 472 Civilians in Syria in the Past Month - June 23rd, 2017
- US Narrows Counter-Extremism Program to Focus on Islamists - June 23rd, 2017
- Senator: US Strikes on Syrian Forces 'Unlawful' - June 23rd, 2017
- Kurds Warn Turkey's Buildup in North Syria Threatens Raqqa Invasion - June 23rd, 2017
- Senators Seek Clarification on US Role in Yemen Torture - June 23rd, 2017