The Nigerian government is facing growing pressure to secure the release of the 276 schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram in the country’s northeast, and a new video from Boko Haram has made the situation even more straightforward.
The video shows the girls, in full veil and reciting a prayer, and claims they have all converted to Boko Haram’s style of Islam. The group offered a prisoner swap to trade the girls in return for an undisclosed number of detained Boko members.
Nigeria would say only that they are “aware” of the proposal, and that the idea of prisoner exchanges are “very tricky,” which could preclude them from actually accepting the deal.
Locals have harshly criticized the Nigerian military for inaction during the kidnapping, criticism that has grown since it was revealed last week that they had advance warning of the raid.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Kurds Confirm Deal for Syrian Army to Join Afrin Battle Against Turkey - February 18th, 2018
- Pro-Saudi Forces Attack Yemeni al-Qaeda Region, Dozens Killed - February 18th, 2018
- Waving Drone Debris, Netanyahu Threatens to Attack Iran - February 18th, 2018
- Israeli Warplanes Pound Gaza After Border Bombing - February 18th, 2018
- Netanyahu Tells UN Chief That Golan Is Forever Israel's - February 16th, 2018