A major suicide car bomb in the southern Yemeni city of Mukalla has done major damage to a police station, killing 11 police and wounding 15 others. A civilian cook was also killed.
The bomber, unnamed but believed to be affiliated with al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) drove up close to the police station and started an argument with one of the police, attempting to draw a crowd.
The bomb killed a number of police outside, and collapsed the lunchroom of the station during lunch time, causing many additional casualties.
Yemeni officials say they believe it was retaliation for a high-profile military offensive across southern Yemen, and they are bracing for yet more as the situation escalates across the nation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon Officials See at Least Two More Years of Somalia Combat - December 10th, 2017
- Worldwide Protests Continue Over Trump's Jerusalem Declaration - December 10th, 2017
- Jerusalem Protests Continue Across Palestine - December 10th, 2017
- US Pushes Diplomatic Isolation for North Korea, Despite Being 'Open to Talks' - December 10th, 2017
- State Dept Spends $1 Million Funding Venezuela Opposition - December 10th, 2017