A major suicide car bomb in the southern Yemeni city of Mukalla has done major damage to a police station, killing 11 police and wounding 15 others. A civilian cook was also killed.
The bomber, unnamed but believed to be affiliated with al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) drove up close to the police station and started an argument with one of the police, attempting to draw a crowd.
The bomb killed a number of police outside, and collapsed the lunchroom of the station during lunch time, causing many additional casualties.
Yemeni officials say they believe it was retaliation for a high-profile military offensive across southern Yemen, and they are bracing for yet more as the situation escalates across the nation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Kurds Holding Foreign ISIS Leaders - October 19th, 2017
- ISIS Seizes Villages South of Kirkuk as Iraq Focuses on Kurds - October 19th, 2017
- Pentagon Opens Niger Ambush Probe, Seeking Details on What Happened - October 19th, 2017
- State Dept Contradicts Trump on Cuba 'Attack' Accusation - October 19th, 2017
- Iraq Orders Arrest of Kurdish VP for 'Insulting' Military - October 19th, 2017