A major suicide car bomb in the southern Yemeni city of Mukalla has done major damage to a police station, killing 11 police and wounding 15 others. A civilian cook was also killed.
The bomber, unnamed but believed to be affiliated with al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) drove up close to the police station and started an argument with one of the police, attempting to draw a crowd.
The bomb killed a number of police outside, and collapsed the lunchroom of the station during lunch time, causing many additional casualties.
Yemeni officials say they believe it was retaliation for a high-profile military offensive across southern Yemen, and they are bracing for yet more as the situation escalates across the nation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cleric Sadr Calls for Delay in Forming Iraqi Govt as Protests Grow - July 19th, 2018
- Putin: Talks on Extending START Nuclear Treaty Must Start Now - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Invites Putin to White House for Second Summit - July 19th, 2018
- Afghan Defense Ministry Confirms Civilians Killed in Kunduz Airstrike - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Says Critics Badly Want War With Russia - July 19th, 2018