A major suicide car bomb in the southern Yemeni city of Mukalla has done major damage to a police station, killing 11 police and wounding 15 others. A civilian cook was also killed.
The bomber, unnamed but believed to be affiliated with al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) drove up close to the police station and started an argument with one of the police, attempting to draw a crowd.
The bomb killed a number of police outside, and collapsed the lunchroom of the station during lunch time, causing many additional casualties.
Yemeni officials say they believe it was retaliation for a high-profile military offensive across southern Yemen, and they are bracing for yet more as the situation escalates across the nation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump to Boost Exports of Lethal US Drones - March 20th, 2018
- Tests of Substance in Britain Poisoning Will Take Three Weeks - March 20th, 2018
- Iraq Approves Turkish Military Operations Against Border Kurds - March 20th, 2018
- Trump Praises Visiting Saudi Crown Prince, Focusing on Arms Sales - March 20th, 2018
- Cordial Talks Between Trump and Putin; Two Will Meet Soon - March 20th, 2018