Reports out of German newspaper Bild am Sonntag are claiming Ukraine’s government has hired 400 American mercenaries from Academi, formerly Blackwater Worldwide, to lead military operations against eastern protesters.
Rumors of Academi subsidiary Greystone’s involvement in the crackdown are nothing new, but the report suggests the Bundesnachrichtendienst (BND), Germany’s foreign intelligence agency, has actually confirmed that involvement, and informed Chancellor Angela Merkel weeks ago.
The transition from Blackwater to Xe Services to Academi was a long and winding road, but the taint of Blackwater’s notorious involvement in the Iraq War has followed the company every step of the way, meaning its involvement in Ukraine would be particularly controversial.
Academi issued a statement in March disavowing reports of their involvement in the Ukraine, blaming them on “irresponsible bloggers.” They have not issued any further statements, however, and speculation continues to grow.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pompeo Rejects EU Appeal for Iran Sanctions Exemptions - July 16th, 2018
- US Commander: Afghan ISIS Resilient to US Attacks, Almost Impossible to Defeat - July 16th, 2018
- Israel Attacks on Aleppo Air Base Killed at Least 22 - July 16th, 2018
- White House Orders Diplomats to Seek Direct Talks With Afghan Taliban - July 16th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill at Least Eight Civilians in Eastern Syria - July 16th, 2018