The electoral commission for the People’s Republic of Donetsk has announced a landslide victory in today’s referendum in favor of the ballot question, saying roughly 89 percent voted yes.
The referendum question simply asks if the voters support the creation of the People’s Republic of Donetsk, and leaves open the question of exactly what that means, beyond support for the group leading the protests in the region.
Many of the protest leaders see the vote as giving them a legal mandate to operate as an autonomous entity, and are pushing to formalize themselves as an autonomous region within Ukraine.
Other protest leaders, by contrast, are presenting the move as a de facto vote for independence, with Governor Pavel Gubarev of Donetsk saying it marked the first step toward the creation of Novorossia as a new entity.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Catalans Rally at Barcelona Parliament, Push for Independence - October 21st, 2017
- Turkey: Kurdish Banner in Raqqa Proves US Sided With Terrorists - October 20th, 2017
- Many Afghan Troops Run Away While in US to Train - October 20th, 2017
- Spain to Start Catalonia Takeover Saturday - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Deaths Highlight Growing US Involvement in Africa - October 20th, 2017