The CIA agent and US Special Forces commando involved in a recent shooting of a pair of Yemenis in the capital city of Sanaa were “getting a haircut,” according to Yemeni security officials.
What happened next is still not entirely clear, but a pair of Yemenis stormed into the barbershop, identifying themselves as police, and were immediately killed by the Americans.
Yemeni officials say that the two were likely members of an “al-Qaeda cell,” and the shooters, who were initially identified only as “US embassy officials,” quickly left the country.
Locals say that police later arrived and captured the barbershop owner, holding him for some time before finally releasing him uncharged. The relatives of the slain denied al-Qaeda involvement, and were likewise arrested in what officials are saying was an “attempted kidnapping.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Military's 'Prime Focus' Will Be Competing With Russia, China - January 19th, 2018
- NGO: US-Led Coalition Civilian Killings Tripled in Iraq and Syria in 2017 - January 19th, 2018
- Russia FM: US Creating 'Alternative Bodies of Authority' in Syria - January 19th, 2018
- US: Turkish Attack on Syrian Kurds 'Destabilizing' - January 19th, 2018
- Turkey Escalates Shelling, Says 'No Turning Back' From Syria Invasion - January 19th, 2018