Ukraine’s interim Interior Minister Arsen Avakov, currently leading the military invasion of cities across eastern Ukraine, has demanded that the local population stop their “foolish behavior” and start endorsing the offensive.
“The situation has become black and white,” Avakov declared after announcing 20 “terrorists” were killed in today’s attack on Mariupol, ominously adding of opponents that “there can be only one answer from the Ukrainian state – annihilation.”
Avakov was elected to parliament for the first time in 2012, as a member of the Fatherland Party’s list, notably while under house arrest in Italy awaiting criminal charges related to illegal land transfers.
Avakov had previously served in several positions in Kharkiv’s provincial government, and oversaw the military’s conquest of the city last month, declaring himself the “Supreme Secretary of Kharkiv.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Army Makes Major Gains in Eastern Ghouta - March 23rd, 2018
- Kurdish Rebels Flee Iraq Border Area, Anticipating Turkish Attack - March 23rd, 2018
- Trump Signs New Bill Slashing Aid to Palestinians - March 23rd, 2018
- Russia Intends to Substantially Cut Military Spending Over Next Five Years - March 23rd, 2018
- Majority of $1.3 Trillion US Omnibus Spending Bill Goes to Military - March 23rd, 2018