The US State Department responded to Ukraine’s military assault on the southeastern city of Mariupol today with a statement condemning the protesters that were killed by Ukraine’s invading tanks for “jeopardizing public order.”
State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki insisted the violence was caused by “pro-Russian separatists” and insisted that their protesters were being carried out “in violation of Ukrainian law.”
Though some of the protesters are indeed separatists, much of the movement in the east is simply seeking increased autonomy and guarantees of the rights of the ethnic Russian minority that dominates the east.
The State Department demanded that the protesters immediately disarm and abandon all public buildings to the incoming Ukrainian military, following this up with a call for Russia to similarly demand an end to all public protests in Ukraine’s east.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Fighters Attack Afghan Base, Kill at Least 26 Soldiers - July 26th, 2017
- Taliban Awash in US Arms, Vehicles, Complicate Afghan War - July 25th, 2017
- Blockading States Expand Qatar 'Terror' Blacklist - July 25th, 2017
- US SOCOM Chief Claims 60,000 to 70,000 ISIS Fighters Killed so Far - July 25th, 2017
- Trump Pledges Support for Lebanon's Anti-ISIS Push - July 25th, 2017