A bloody Friday for Ukraine gave way to more fighting over the weekend, as the military continued its invasion of cities in the Donetsk Oblast, focusing mostly on the area around Kramatorsk, Slovyansk, and Kostyanynivka.
While the invasion focused on Slovyansk on Friday, the weekend saw mostly attacks in Kramatorsk, where local militias clashed with the invading armored personnel carriers, leaving 10 dead, including at least two soldiers.
After Friday’s attack on Slovyansk saw the military losing two helicopters to shoot-downs, the military is now focused on cutting that city off from the rest of the region, with the military effectively blocking the main road into town.
Much of the military’s focus in the early hours of the fighting was destroying protester checkpoints, and while they reportedly destroyed quite a few the protesters have been rebuilding most of them in fairly short order.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iran FM Says US 'Action Group' Will Fail to Overthrow Iran - August 19th, 2018
- North Korea Praises Trump, Bashes His Critics - August 19th, 2018
- As Afghan President Announces Ceasefire, Pompeo Says 'Time for Peace' - August 19th, 2018
- Iraq Supreme Court Ratifies Election Results, Sadr Still Leads - August 19th, 2018
- Pentagon Spokesman: US to Stay in Iraq as Long as Needed - August 19th, 2018