A bloody Friday for Ukraine gave way to more fighting over the weekend, as the military continued its invasion of cities in the Donetsk Oblast, focusing mostly on the area around Kramatorsk, Slovyansk, and Kostyanynivka.
While the invasion focused on Slovyansk on Friday, the weekend saw mostly attacks in Kramatorsk, where local militias clashed with the invading armored personnel carriers, leaving 10 dead, including at least two soldiers.
After Friday’s attack on Slovyansk saw the military losing two helicopters to shoot-downs, the military is now focused on cutting that city off from the rest of the region, with the military effectively blocking the main road into town.
Much of the military’s focus in the early hours of the fighting was destroying protester checkpoints, and while they reportedly destroyed quite a few the protesters have been rebuilding most of them in fairly short order.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon Doubts US Attack Destroyed Syria's Chemical Weapons Capacity - April 19th, 2018
- Iraq Launches 'Deadly Strikes' Against ISIS Forces Inside Syria - April 19th, 2018
- UN Team's Security Concerns Keep Inspectors Out of Douma - April 19th, 2018
- North Korea No Longer Demands US Troops Be Removed From South Korea - April 19th, 2018
- South Korea Confirms Discussions on Ending 68-Year Korean War - April 18th, 2018