The US Agency for International Development (USAID), most recently in the headlines for its covert creation of “Cuban Twitter,” a social media enterprise aimed at regime change, is set to throw more money at sympathetic media in the Ukraine.
Already on the hook for millions of dollars at this point, USAID announced another $1.25 million for promoting “universal values” in the Ukraine, much of it related to the upcoming elections.
In addition to direct support for media, the USAID money is also aiming to organize “town hall events” in Ukraine focusing on the importances of “Ukrainian unity and the implications of EU integration.”
The program was initially unveiled during the Yanukovych government, and at the time focused on “independent media.” Now, USAID openly declares its supports for the interim Ukrainian government, and is focused instead on pushing to establish the legitimacy of that new ruling faction.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Airstrikes Kill at Least 100 Syrian Civilians in Raqqa in 48 Hours - August 22nd, 2017
- Palestinian Authority Threatens to Cut All Gaza Funds - August 21st, 2017
- Report: ISIS Attacks Grew in 2016, Despite Shrinking Territory - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Promises to 'Deal With Pakistan' on Afghan War - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Declares Open-Ended War in Afghanistan - August 21st, 2017