The US Agency for International Development (USAID), most recently in the headlines for its covert creation of “Cuban Twitter,” a social media enterprise aimed at regime change, is set to throw more money at sympathetic media in the Ukraine.
Already on the hook for millions of dollars at this point, USAID announced another $1.25 million for promoting “universal values” in the Ukraine, much of it related to the upcoming elections.
In addition to direct support for media, the USAID money is also aiming to organize “town hall events” in Ukraine focusing on the importances of “Ukrainian unity and the implications of EU integration.”
The program was initially unveiled during the Yanukovych government, and at the time focused on “independent media.” Now, USAID openly declares its supports for the interim Ukrainian government, and is focused instead on pushing to establish the legitimacy of that new ruling faction.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-South Korea Spring War Games to Be Scaled Back This Year - March 21st, 2018
- Trump to Boost Exports of Lethal US Drones - March 20th, 2018
- Tests of Substance in Britain Poisoning Will Take Three Weeks - March 20th, 2018
- Iraq Approves Turkish Military Operations Against Border Kurds - March 20th, 2018
- Trump Praises Visiting Saudi Crown Prince, Focusing on Arms Sales - March 20th, 2018