Says NATO Unity 'Vital' Against Russia
In a speech today in Washington which was presented as a “warning” to Russia, Secretary of State John Kerry warned Russia would not be allowed to “change the security landscape” of Europe and that the US was prepared to defend “every single piece” of NATO territory.
There is no indication, of course, that Russia has any designs on any territory of any NATO member nations. Rather, that narrative has been advanced primarily by politicians in eastern NATO states, courting major boosts in US military aid.
Kerry insisted NATO unity was “vital” in moving against Russia, and the speech focused primarily, as US speeches on NATO tend to, on pressuring nations to step up military spending across Europe.
He went on to promise that the US and allies would “stand together in our defense of Ukraine,” dubbed the situation there a “defining moment” for NATO, and one which puts their entire structure at stake.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US General: We Don't Support Shi'ite Militias in Mosul Offensive - October 19th, 2016
- US Talks Major Military Buildup Against North Korea - October 19th, 2016
- US Hawks Continue Hysteria Over All Things Russia - October 19th, 2016
- Under New Syria Amnesty Deal, Hundreds of Rebels Withdraw From Damascus Suburb - October 19th, 2016
- Two Americans Killed in Afghan Insider Attack - October 19th, 2016