Major Pakistani television news channel Geo News is facing another round of shut-down attempts by the Pakistani military today, receiving notices of the Defense Ministry seeking a ban on them for broadcasting “anti-state content.”
Geo News talk show host Hamid Mir was assassinated last weekend, and the station has blamed military spy agency the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) agency for the killing.
Pakistan is one of the most dangerous places in the world to be a reporter, and Geo News and the rest of Jang Media Group are often targeted in government crackdowns, banned off and on over the years.
At present, the military is imposing a blanket ban on all Jang newspapers and Geo TV at Army offices, and the Defense Ministry suggests the goal is to extend that ban nationwide.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Army Makes Major Gains in Eastern Ghouta - March 23rd, 2018
- Kurdish Rebels Flee Iraq Border Area, Anticipating Turkish Attack - March 23rd, 2018
- Trump Signs New Bill Slashing Aid to Palestinians - March 23rd, 2018
- Russia Intends to Substantially Cut Military Spending Over Next Five Years - March 23rd, 2018
- Majority of $1.3 Trillion US Omnibus Spending Bill Goes to Military - March 23rd, 2018