Major Pakistani television news channel Geo News is facing another round of shut-down attempts by the Pakistani military today, receiving notices of the Defense Ministry seeking a ban on them for broadcasting “anti-state content.”
Geo News talk show host Hamid Mir was assassinated last weekend, and the station has blamed military spy agency the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) agency for the killing.
Pakistan is one of the most dangerous places in the world to be a reporter, and Geo News and the rest of Jang Media Group are often targeted in government crackdowns, banned off and on over the years.
At present, the military is imposing a blanket ban on all Jang newspapers and Geo TV at Army offices, and the Defense Ministry suggests the goal is to extend that ban nationwide.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- United Arab Emirates: Qatar Faces Fresh Sanctions, 'Permanent Isolation' - June 28th, 2017
- Senate Committee Passes $700 Billion Military Spending Bill - June 28th, 2017
- Mattis: Syria Fight Will Only Get More Complicated After Raqqa Is Captured - June 28th, 2017
- Mattis Claims White House Threat to Syria 'Worked' - June 28th, 2017
- Saudis Demolish Historic Shi'ite Neighborhood, Sparking Unrest - June 27th, 2017