Officials are reporting that top al-Qaeda bombmaker Ibrahim al-Asiri is believed to have been killed in an ambush by US ground troops on Monday, calling him the “most senior member” slain since Osama bin Laden.
The troops, US Navy Seals, were dropped onto an area near the highway to wait for the jeep Asiri was thought to be traveling in, and opened fire on it, killing all within.
Asiri’s primary claim to fame is being the “mastermind” behind the failed 2009 underwear bomb plot, in which he made explosive underpants intended to destroy an airplane, but instead just severely burned the lap of the guy wearing them.
After killing everyone in the jeep, a sniffer dog was sent in to inspect the corpses, and identified one of them as Asiri. So far that’s the closest we’ve gotten to confirmation on the incident, but the dog’s word was apparently good enough for Yemeni officials, who are already crowing about the killing.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Buildup in Rival Syrian Rebel Factions Threatens Spread of Fighting - July 20th, 2017
- Syrian Rebels Condemn CIA Aid Cut - July 20th, 2017
- Qatar Blockade Cuts Into Saudi-Yemen Alliance - July 20th, 2017
- Doubts About Success of North Korea 'ICBM' Undercut US Sanctions Push - July 20th, 2017
- Ambush Near Damascus Kills 28 Syrian Troops - July 20th, 2017