The Obama Administration hasn’t been able to offer much in the way of evidence for its narrative that Russia is secretly behind the protests in eastern Ukraine, but they’ve sure been looking awfully hard.
Today, desperately for something concrete, the State Department issued a batch of photographs, most showing protesters in eastern Ukrainian cities, and some showing Russian troops who the US insists must be the same guy.
The US started with a photo of a guy with a long beard in Slovyansk, and a picture of a Russian soldier in Georgia in 2008 with an even longer beard. Coincidence? The US can’t imagine it.
In addition to Beard Guy, the US also showed photographs of a poofy-haired guy in Kramatorsk, along with a group photograph of Russian Special Forces. In the back on the Special Forces photo, wearing a hat so we can’t see his poofy hair, is a guy with a similar goatee.
Beyond that, other photos showed the armed militia members holding guns “similar” to the kind the Russian military uses. That both are using Soviet surplus arms (as is Ukraine’s government and much of Eastern Europe, for that matter) is unsurpirising, but is the closest thing to a smoking gun the US appears to have been able to find.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Egypt Conducts Airstrikes in Sinai After Mosque Attack - November 24th, 2017
- Diplomats: Trump 'Fed Up' With Netanyahu Dismissing Peace Efforts - November 24th, 2017
- Observatory Estimates 340,000 Killed in Syrian War - November 24th, 2017
- Pentagon to Admit to 2,000 Troops in Syria, Number Likely Far Higher - November 24th, 2017
- Five Ukrainian Soldiers Killed in Fighting Near Restive Luhansk - November 24th, 2017