Speaking today on Meet the Press, Senate Foreign Relations Committee official Sen. Bob Corker (R – TN) warned that “we’re going to lose eastern Ukraine if we continue as we are, and I think it’s going to be a geopolitical disaster.”
Sen. Corker’s comments suggest he is under the impression that eastern Ukraine has been anywhere remotely in the US sphere of influence at some point in history, a position not backed up by reality.
Corker’s belief led him to push for the US to escalate its sanctions against Russia to punish them for threatening US control over the region, saying it was time for President Obama to be more “forceful” in the area.
Corker said he wants sanctions against Russia’s government as well as its energy sector, and that the US should “beef up our security relationship with Ukraine,” including direct aid for its military which is presently attacking eastern Ukraine.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- General Seeks Permission to Declassify Sites of 'Dud' US Strikes in Mosul - August 17th, 2017
- Tillerson: US to Honor Japan Defense Pact, Including Contested Island Claims - August 17th, 2017
- South Korea's President Moon Rules Out War on Korean Peninsula - August 17th, 2017
- Assange Meets Rep. Rohrabacher, Vows to Prove Leaks Didn't Come From Russia - August 17th, 2017
- UN Report: Saudis Killed 502 Children in Yemen in Past Year - August 17th, 2017