The expected Ukraine invasion of breakaway eastern provinces didn’t materialize today, and the secessionists are not taking the lull for granted, using it as a chance to fortify the areas expected to get hit first.
Secessionists stormed a police station in Horivka now, and their leaders are talking up securing all of the important infrastructure across the Donetsk and Luhansk Provinces.
The protests erupted in Donetsk, Luhansk and Kharkiv initially, but Kharkiv was quickly overrun by the Interior Ministry’s forces. Since then, the protesters have taken a much more defensive stance, preparing to fight off incursions.
The protesters are not uniform in their demands, with many calling for autonomy within Ukraine and others seeking accession into the Russian Federation, following the Crimea example. They are all in agreement that they will resist the Ukrainian military, however,
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pompeo Rejects EU Appeal for Iran Sanctions Exemptions - July 16th, 2018
- US Commander: Afghan ISIS Resilient to US Attacks, Almost Impossible to Defeat - July 16th, 2018
- Israel Attacks on Aleppo Air Base Killed at Least 22 - July 16th, 2018
- White House Orders Diplomats to Seek Direct Talks With Afghan Taliban - July 16th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill at Least Eight Civilians in Eastern Syria - July 16th, 2018