The expected Ukraine invasion of breakaway eastern provinces didn’t materialize today, and the secessionists are not taking the lull for granted, using it as a chance to fortify the areas expected to get hit first.
Secessionists stormed a police station in Horivka now, and their leaders are talking up securing all of the important infrastructure across the Donetsk and Luhansk Provinces.
The protests erupted in Donetsk, Luhansk and Kharkiv initially, but Kharkiv was quickly overrun by the Interior Ministry’s forces. Since then, the protesters have taken a much more defensive stance, preparing to fight off incursions.
The protesters are not uniform in their demands, with many calling for autonomy within Ukraine and others seeking accession into the Russian Federation, following the Crimea example. They are all in agreement that they will resist the Ukrainian military, however,
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Catalan Leaders Vow to Resist Spain's Attempted Takeover - October 22nd, 2017
- Spain Seeks Huge Power Transfer in Trying to Oust Catalan Leadership - October 22nd, 2017
- Tillerson: Iraqi Shi'ite Militias Must Leave Iraq - October 22nd, 2017
- Israel Says It Will Step Up Attacks Against Syria - October 22nd, 2017
- Next Catalonias? Italian Regions Vote for More Autonomy - October 22nd, 2017