Tensions are boiling over in southeastern Ukraine’s Donetsk Oblast, where pro-Russia protesters have essentially taken over and declared themselves an independent republic.
Ukraine’s interim Prime Minister, who knows a little something about being installed after a foreign-backed protest, sees the demonstrations as a Russian plot, and has warned Russia against moving into the border territory.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov warned Ukraine against making any move to crack down on the protests, saying they would not tolerate the use of force against ethnic Russians in Donetsk.
The Obama Administration likewise warned of escalation, and the White House claimed secret evidence that some of the protesters were being paid. Secretary of State John Kerry demanded Russia publicly disavow the Donetsk protesters.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iran: European Proposals Not Enough to Save Nuclear Deal - June 19th, 2018
- Kim and China's President Xi Talk Denuclearization, Peace in Korea - June 19th, 2018
- New US Commander in Afghanistan Claims Progress, Warns Against Pullout - June 19th, 2018
- US Withdraws From UN Human Rights Council, Citing Approach to Israel - June 19th, 2018
- Saudi-led Forces Seize Parts of Yemen's Hodeidah Airport in Heavy Fighting - June 19th, 2018