Tensions are boiling over in southeastern Ukraine’s Donetsk Oblast, where pro-Russia protesters have essentially taken over and declared themselves an independent republic.
Ukraine’s interim Prime Minister, who knows a little something about being installed after a foreign-backed protest, sees the demonstrations as a Russian plot, and has warned Russia against moving into the border territory.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov warned Ukraine against making any move to crack down on the protests, saying they would not tolerate the use of force against ethnic Russians in Donetsk.
The Obama Administration likewise warned of escalation, and the White House claimed secret evidence that some of the protesters were being paid. Secretary of State John Kerry demanded Russia publicly disavow the Donetsk protesters.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Seeks to Negotiate a Broad Treaty With Iran - September 19th, 2018
- Despite Pledge Not to, Germany Approves Sale of Arms to Saudi Arabia - September 19th, 2018
- State Dept: ISIS, al-Qaeda Adapting After Recent Losses - September 19th, 2018
- Thousands Return Home in Northwest Syria After Deal Prevents Offensive - September 19th, 2018
- North, South Korea to Form Joint Military Committee - September 19th, 2018