Tensions are boiling over in southeastern Ukraine’s Donetsk Oblast, where pro-Russia protesters have essentially taken over and declared themselves an independent republic.
Ukraine’s interim Prime Minister, who knows a little something about being installed after a foreign-backed protest, sees the demonstrations as a Russian plot, and has warned Russia against moving into the border territory.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov warned Ukraine against making any move to crack down on the protests, saying they would not tolerate the use of force against ethnic Russians in Donetsk.
The Obama Administration likewise warned of escalation, and the White House claimed secret evidence that some of the protesters were being paid. Secretary of State John Kerry demanded Russia publicly disavow the Donetsk protesters.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Under Pressure to Accept North Korea Nuclear Freeze Deal - June 21st, 2017
- As ISIS Loses Ground, US Is on a Collision Course With Syria and Iran - June 21st, 2017
- US, Russia Continue to Inch Toward Confrontation in Syria - June 21st, 2017
- Wall Street Journal Fires Chief Foreign Affairs Correspondent Over Arms Dealer Links - June 21st, 2017
- Saudis, Allies Have 'List of Demands' for Qatar - June 21st, 2017