The Obama Administration has been rush shipping weapons to the Iraqi government since the loss of much of the Anbar Province to al-Qaeda in Iraq (AQI), and made the first major delivery today.
Today’s shipment included some 100 Hellfire missiles as well as assault rifles and large amounts of ammunition. The Iraqi Air Force is constantly firing missiles against Fallujah and other targets in Anbar.
The military was moving against Anbar even before AQI’s takeover, as major protests were growing across the Sunni-dominated province. It was amid this unrest that AQI took over Fallujah and other parts of the province.
The US Embassy suggested that today’s shipment was only the beginning of a new round of the US throwing arms at the country, saying more missiles and weapons could be expected in the weeks to come.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi Coalition Offers Plan to 'Protect' Hodeidah as Civilians Flee - June 22nd, 2018
- Taliban Kill Four, Kidnap Scores in Southern Afghanistan Raid - June 22nd, 2018
- US, Afghan Forces Killed Over 160 ISIS in Three-Week Offensive - June 22nd, 2018
- North and South Korea Agree to New Round of Family Reunions - June 22nd, 2018
- Hamas Negotiating 'Comprehensive Deal' for Truce With Israel - June 22nd, 2018