The Obama Administration has been rush shipping weapons to the Iraqi government since the loss of much of the Anbar Province to al-Qaeda in Iraq (AQI), and made the first major delivery today.
Today’s shipment included some 100 Hellfire missiles as well as assault rifles and large amounts of ammunition. The Iraqi Air Force is constantly firing missiles against Fallujah and other targets in Anbar.
The military was moving against Anbar even before AQI’s takeover, as major protests were growing across the Sunni-dominated province. It was amid this unrest that AQI took over Fallujah and other parts of the province.
The US Embassy suggested that today’s shipment was only the beginning of a new round of the US throwing arms at the country, saying more missiles and weapons could be expected in the weeks to come.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Peshmerga: Iraqi Offensive Is a 'Declaration of War' - October 16th, 2017
- Thousands Flee as Iraqi Forces Seize Kirkuk - October 16th, 2017
- Pentagon Backs Away as US Allies Prepare to Battle in Iraqi Kurdistan - October 16th, 2017
- North Korea Rejects US Talks Amid Threats - October 16th, 2017
- Spain Ratchets Up Threats as Catalonia Refuses to Respond - October 16th, 2017