The Obama Administration has been rush shipping weapons to the Iraqi government since the loss of much of the Anbar Province to al-Qaeda in Iraq (AQI), and made the first major delivery today.
Today’s shipment included some 100 Hellfire missiles as well as assault rifles and large amounts of ammunition. The Iraqi Air Force is constantly firing missiles against Fallujah and other targets in Anbar.
The military was moving against Anbar even before AQI’s takeover, as major protests were growing across the Sunni-dominated province. It was amid this unrest that AQI took over Fallujah and other parts of the province.
The US Embassy suggested that today’s shipment was only the beginning of a new round of the US throwing arms at the country, saying more missiles and weapons could be expected in the weeks to come.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Airstrikes Kill at Least 100 Syrian Civilians in Raqqa in 48 Hours - August 22nd, 2017
- Palestinian Authority Threatens to Cut All Gaza Funds - August 21st, 2017
- Report: ISIS Attacks Grew in 2016, Despite Shrinking Territory - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Promises to 'Deal With Pakistan' on Afghan War - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Declares Open-Ended War in Afghanistan - August 21st, 2017