The Obama Administration has been rush shipping weapons to the Iraqi government since the loss of much of the Anbar Province to al-Qaeda in Iraq (AQI), and made the first major delivery today.
Today’s shipment included some 100 Hellfire missiles as well as assault rifles and large amounts of ammunition. The Iraqi Air Force is constantly firing missiles against Fallujah and other targets in Anbar.
The military was moving against Anbar even before AQI’s takeover, as major protests were growing across the Sunni-dominated province. It was amid this unrest that AQI took over Fallujah and other parts of the province.
The US Embassy suggested that today’s shipment was only the beginning of a new round of the US throwing arms at the country, saying more missiles and weapons could be expected in the weeks to come.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Palestinians Slam Planned US Embassy Move to Jerusalem - February 23rd, 2018
- White House Orders Military Parade for Veterans Day - February 23rd, 2018
- Turkish Army Attacks Afrin Convoy, Kurds Say It Was Full of Aid - February 23rd, 2018
- Nigeria Sends More Troops to Look for Missing Girls - February 23rd, 2018
- Trump Vows 'Largest Ever' North Korea Sanctions, Threatens Ominous 'Phase Two' - February 23rd, 2018