In comments today to the House Foreign Affairs Committee, Secretary of State John Kerry said he made it clear to Israel that it was a “mistake” for them to keep holding out demands for PA recognition of Israel as a “Jewish state” as the ultimate decider of if talks are going to continue.
Kerry pointed out Israel had already been recognized as a Jewish state scores of times and that there wasn’t really any value to the Palestinians doing it one more time.
The PA has withheld the recognition over concerns of what it could mean to Israel’s Arab minority, but insists that Israel’s internal organization isn’t its concern.
Polls show Israelis are more or less fine with that position, with 69% of Israelis believing it is much more important to get peace deals with Arab countries than it is to squeeze another recognition out of them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Catalan Leader Seeks to Vote by Proxy to Avoid Arrest by Spain - January 18th, 2018
- Israeli Army Considers Seizing Palestinian Neighborhoods in Jerusalem - January 18th, 2018
- US Urges Turkey to Focus on ISIS, Not Attack Syrian Kurds - January 18th, 2018
- US to Withhold $45 Million in Pledged Palestinian Food Aid 'For Now' - January 18th, 2018
- Syria Threatens to Destroy Any Invading Turkish Warplanes - January 18th, 2018