In what US officials said was a “penalty” for Russia’s backing of Crimean secession from the Ukraine, the Obama Administration has suspended all military ties with Russia.
Pentagon officials say that all military-to-military engagements, including joint exercises, meetings, and conferences have been placed “on hold” indefinitely.
The move is the first of what Obama Administration officials say will be a series of punitive actions designed to isolate Russia internationally, as well as economically.
The Pentagon downplayed reports of ship movements in the region, saying they have not changed any military planning or operations as a result of the Crimea situation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Army Makes Major Gains in Eastern Ghouta - March 23rd, 2018
- Kurdish Rebels Flee Iraq Border Area, Anticipating Turkish Attack - March 23rd, 2018
- Trump Signs New Bill Slashing Aid to Palestinians - March 23rd, 2018
- Russia Intends to Substantially Cut Military Spending Over Next Five Years - March 23rd, 2018
- Majority of $1.3 Trillion US Omnibus Spending Bill Goes to Military - March 23rd, 2018