In what US officials said was a “penalty” for Russia’s backing of Crimean secession from the Ukraine, the Obama Administration has suspended all military ties with Russia.
Pentagon officials say that all military-to-military engagements, including joint exercises, meetings, and conferences have been placed “on hold” indefinitely.
The move is the first of what Obama Administration officials say will be a series of punitive actions designed to isolate Russia internationally, as well as economically.
The Pentagon downplayed reports of ship movements in the region, saying they have not changed any military planning or operations as a result of the Crimea situation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Militia Chief Wants Fighters Placed Under National Army - December 14th, 2017
- US Troops, Syrian Rebels Battle ISIS Near Key Base - December 14th, 2017
- US Will Preposition Jet Fuel in Algeria, Niger to Expand Drone Wars - December 14th, 2017
- US Warplanes Fire Warning Flares at Russian Jets Over Syria - December 14th, 2017
- Iran: US Presentation of Iranian Arms in Yemen Fabricated - December 14th, 2017