In what US officials said was a “penalty” for Russia’s backing of Crimean secession from the Ukraine, the Obama Administration has suspended all military ties with Russia.
Pentagon officials say that all military-to-military engagements, including joint exercises, meetings, and conferences have been placed “on hold” indefinitely.
The move is the first of what Obama Administration officials say will be a series of punitive actions designed to isolate Russia internationally, as well as economically.
The Pentagon downplayed reports of ship movements in the region, saying they have not changed any military planning or operations as a result of the Crimea situation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Wants High-Profile Meeting With Putin at G20 Summit - June 26th, 2017
- House Spending Bill Threatens to Suspend Nuclear Treaty With Russia - June 26th, 2017
- Bahrain Accuses Qatar of Seeking 'Military Escalation' - June 26th, 2017
- White House Appears to Be Planning Attack on Assad - June 26th, 2017
- Top Senator Blocks Gulf Arms Sales Over Qatar Crisis - June 26th, 2017