President Obama says he is preparing “costly sanctions” against Russia in retaliation for their involvement in Crimean secession, saying the US will “isolate Russia” and seriously damage their economy.
The details of the sanctions are scant, but Secretary of State John Kerry said it would include seizing the assets of Russian citizens abroad, travel bans, and potentially kicking Russia out of the G8.
Obama went on to declare Putin “on the wrong side of history,” and demanded that he immediately withdraw all Russian forces from the Crimea. The Crimean parliament is planning a referendum on secession from the Ukraine, and a possible accession back to the Russian Federation.
State Dept. Press Secretary Jen Psaki went on to say that the US is “not just considering sanctions” against Russia, and that the US is planning a series of moves against Russia to follow the sanctions themselves.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi Coalition Offers Plan to 'Protect' Hodeidah as Civilians Flee - June 22nd, 2018
- Taliban Kill Four, Kidnap Scores in Southern Afghanistan Raid - June 22nd, 2018
- US, Afghan Forces Killed Over 160 ISIS in Three-Week Offensive - June 22nd, 2018
- North and South Korea Agree to New Round of Family Reunions - June 22nd, 2018
- Hamas Negotiating 'Comprehensive Deal' for Truce With Israel - June 22nd, 2018