Accused Thief Has Hand Chopped Off With Sword
Al-Qaeda in Iraq (AQI), the largest rebel faction in Syria, has had its Twitter account suspended today after live-tweeting the forced amputation of the hand of an accused thief in Aleppo Province.
AQI, which was disavowed by al-Qaeda earlier this month for being too brutal, tweeted several photos leading up to the amputation and one of the aftermath, along with captions saying the amputation was done to “cleanse his sins.”
AQI controls much of northern Syria, including virtually the entire Raqqa Province. They have repeatedly clashed with Jabhat al-Nusra, the al-Qaeda faction of choice in the area, as well as other smaller rebel factions.
Nusra has repeatedly faulted AQI for its harsh interpretation of Sharia law, harsh even by al-Qaeda standards, and has demanded they agree to mediation with religious scholars.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon Delivers Plan to Escalate ISIS War - February 27th, 2017
- Israeli Airstrikes Target Central Gaza, Wounding Four - February 27th, 2017
- Turkey-Backed Rebels Clash With Syrian Military South of al-Bab - February 27th, 2017
- Trump Seeks Massive 9% Military Spending Hike - February 27th, 2017
- Netanyahu: Trump, Israel At Odds Over Settlements - February 27th, 2017