Salafist rebels imposing harsh interpretations of Sharia law on the locals is old news in northern Syria, where al-Qaeda factions rule large portions of the region. Their sway is growing elsewhere in the nation, however.
Now, a faction calling itself the Islamic Law Council of Deir Ezzor has issued a new statement demanding all women in their territory wear face veils at all times in public, threatening “punishment” to those who resist after Saturday.
The Islamic Law Council is a faction within the Islamic Front, the so-called moderate Islamist rebels. The group’s statement also claimed “sins are the main reason delaying victory” and promised to “prevent vice.”
Across much of rebel-held Syria, women are facing increasing severe restrictions on going out in public. This is a major change from the secular society Syria has been for decades .
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Has Thousands More Troops in Afghanistan Than Official Figure - August 23rd, 2017
- Tensions Between US, North Korea Slowly Easing - August 23rd, 2017
- Pakistan FM: We Shouldn't Be 'Scapegoat' for US Failures in Afghanistan - August 23rd, 2017
- US, Israel Push to Give UNIFIL Powers to Crack Down on Hezbollah - August 23rd, 2017
- Trump's Afghanistan Escalation Will Add to Massive War Costs - August 23rd, 2017