Salafist rebels imposing harsh interpretations of Sharia law on the locals is old news in northern Syria, where al-Qaeda factions rule large portions of the region. Their sway is growing elsewhere in the nation, however.
Now, a faction calling itself the Islamic Law Council of Deir Ezzor has issued a new statement demanding all women in their territory wear face veils at all times in public, threatening “punishment” to those who resist after Saturday.
The Islamic Law Council is a faction within the Islamic Front, the so-called moderate Islamist rebels. The group’s statement also claimed “sins are the main reason delaying victory” and promised to “prevent vice.”
Across much of rebel-held Syria, women are facing increasing severe restrictions on going out in public. This is a major change from the secular society Syria has been for decades .
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Yemeni Forces Stop Houthis Attempt to Reopen Hodeidah Supply Route - October 18th, 2018
- Trump Threatens to Send Military to Close Border With Mexico - October 18th, 2018
- US Opposes Koreas' New No-Fly Zone Plans - October 18th, 2018
- Trump Administration Bans US Aid Groups From North Korea - October 18th, 2018
- Sen. Corker: Trump Must End Intel Clampdown on Khashoggi - October 18th, 2018