Heavy shelling with both rockets and artillery fire continued today in the Anbar Province, as the Iraqi military prepared for a planned ground invasion of the city of Fallujah.
Though casualties on the ground there are difficult to confirm, Iraq put today’s toll at 57, all of them “Islamist militants” affiliated with al-Qaeda in Iraq (AQI) and killed on the outskirts of Ramadi and Fallujah.
Military officials say that an invasion of Fallujah could happen at any moment, and they continue to wait for final word from Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki. One top official added that “the time for talking ran out.”
After AQI seized Fallujah last week, Maliki indicated his government was willing to wait as long as necessary for the locals to expel al-Qaeda, but within a couple of weeks the military began attacking the outskirts, and is now planning a full-scale ground invasion of the city of 200,000.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump to Boost Exports of Lethal US Drones - March 20th, 2018
- Tests of Substance in Britain Poisoning Will Take Three Weeks - March 20th, 2018
- Iraq Approves Turkish Military Operations Against Border Kurds - March 20th, 2018
- Trump Praises Visiting Saudi Crown Prince, Focusing on Arms Sales - March 20th, 2018
- Cordial Talks Between Trump and Putin; Two Will Meet Soon - March 20th, 2018