US and European officials are reporting that US weapons flowing into Syria via Jordan are part of a program secretly approved by the US Congress in a “closed door vote.”
Officially, the US halted aid to the rebels quite some time ago after some shipments of tents to the Free Syrian Army (FSA) were seized by the Islamic Front, along with the warehouses.
That official “aid” program was going through Turkey, and a much bigger arms-based plan is going through Jordan, with funding authorized through the end of the fiscal year.
The White House offered no comment on the arms shipments, but continued with the narrative of the halted Turkish program, saying they hope to resume shipments soon but have “no announcements at this time.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pakistan: We Won't Tolerate Drone Strikes on Our Soil - June 22nd, 2017
- Iraq PM: Destruction of Mosul Mosque Proves ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- Turkey: US Promised to Take Back Kurds' Arms After ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- White House Lobbying to Water Down Russia Sanctions Bill - June 22nd, 2017
- House Armed Services Committee Advances $640 Billion Military Spending Bill - June 22nd, 2017