US and European officials are reporting that US weapons flowing into Syria via Jordan are part of a program secretly approved by the US Congress in a “closed door vote.”
Officially, the US halted aid to the rebels quite some time ago after some shipments of tents to the Free Syrian Army (FSA) were seized by the Islamic Front, along with the warehouses.
That official “aid” program was going through Turkey, and a much bigger arms-based plan is going through Jordan, with funding authorized through the end of the fiscal year.
The White House offered no comment on the arms shipments, but continued with the narrative of the halted Turkish program, saying they hope to resume shipments soon but have “no announcements at this time.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Threatens to Pull Out of Peace Talks Over US Troop Presence in Afghanistan - January 15th, 2019
- US, Russia Trade Accusations of Nuclear Deal Violations - January 15th, 2019
- Mnuchin Urges Senate to Allow Trump to Ease Russia Sanctions - January 15th, 2019
- Trump May Recognize Opposition Leader as Venezuelan President - January 15th, 2019
- US Has 4,500 Marines, F-35 Squadron on Standby to Support Syria Pullout - January 15th, 2019