US and European officials are reporting that US weapons flowing into Syria via Jordan are part of a program secretly approved by the US Congress in a “closed door vote.”
Officially, the US halted aid to the rebels quite some time ago after some shipments of tents to the Free Syrian Army (FSA) were seized by the Islamic Front, along with the warehouses.
That official “aid” program was going through Turkey, and a much bigger arms-based plan is going through Jordan, with funding authorized through the end of the fiscal year.
The White House offered no comment on the arms shipments, but continued with the narrative of the halted Turkish program, saying they hope to resume shipments soon but have “no announcements at this time.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Delivering Excavation Equipment to Syria's Kurdish YPG - April 22nd, 2019
- Appeals Court Won't Release Chelsea Manning From Jail - April 22nd, 2019
- Bernie Sanders Seeks Override of Trump's Yemen Veto - April 22nd, 2019
- US Offers $10 Million to 'Disrupt' Hezbollah Finances - April 22nd, 2019
- US Ends Iran Waivers, Raising Global Oil Prices - April 22nd, 2019