Obama, Kerry 'Disappointed' as Lobby Pushes Iran Sanctions
An unnamed official in the Obama Administration has termed the White House “uneasy” with the growing criticism they face from US Jewish groups and Israeli lobbying factions, saying they believe the moves are being spearheaded by the Israeli government itself.
A particular sore spot is the intense and continued lobbying for Iran sanctions by Lobby powerhouses like AIPAC, aimed at sabotaging the interim nuclear deal with Iran.
The usual Senate hawks were quick to sign on to the Iran sanctions bill, but it has lost momentum as the Iran deal has gone into effect. The lobbying effort hasn’t stopped however, and has in many ways picked up, hoping to secure the number needed to override a promised Obama veto.
AIPAC shrugged off the concern, saying their “top priority” remains building support for the sanctions, and that they consider Congressional positions on Israel and Iran proof they are doing a “terrific job” lobbying.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Blowback: Attack on Canadian Parliament Leaves Ottawa Stunned - October 22nd, 2014
- More Troops, More Arms: Iraq Pushes US to Expand ISIS War - October 22nd, 2014
- Report: 25 ISIS Killed in US Airstrikes in Central Iraq - October 22nd, 2014
- Livni, Lapid Combine Blocs to Push Israel Back Into Peace Talks - October 22nd, 2014
- Libyan Parliament Pairs Up With Gen. Hifter: Attack Planned on Tripoli - October 22nd, 2014