Jordanian Information Mniister Mohammed Momani has confirmed that his government agrees to play host to a new US training operation for the Iraqi military, with details yet to be hashed out.
Momani said it was “consistent with our foreign policy goal of fighting terrorism,” and bragged of Jordan having the best military training facilities in the region.
The US military has been operating in Jordan for quite awhile, training Syrian rebel factions that were supposed to overthrow the Assad government. At the time Jordan was touting the plan as ensuring the moderates position in the rebellion, though since then the moderates have lost most of their territory to al-Qaeda and other Salafist factions.
With the infrastructure of one failed US training mission still apparently in place, it could be that the plan is simply to transition those trainers over to the Iraqi military.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Wants High-Profile Meeting With Putin at G20 Summit - June 26th, 2017
- House Spending Bill Threatens to Suspend Nuclear Treaty With Russia - June 26th, 2017
- Bahrain Accuses Qatar of Seeking 'Military Escalation' - June 26th, 2017
- White House Appears to Be Planning Attack on Assad - June 26th, 2017
- Top Senator Blocks Gulf Arms Sales Over Qatar Crisis - June 26th, 2017