With the ongoing “war within a war” among northern Syrian rebel factions the center of combat right now, reports say that Russia is using the opportunity to resupply the Syrian military.
Russian officials have yet to confirm the arms shipments, but sources quoted in Reuters say the supplies have included helicopter parts, armored vehicles, and guided bombs.
The US State Department said the reports were “concerning if true,” but Russia’s shipments have been primarily defensive in nature, and don’t violate international laws.
The pickup in shipments was such that some say Russia has likely been buying up surplus Soviet-era gear from Bulgaria, Romania and Ukraine to send there. Bulgaria has so far denied any involvement in the shipments.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- France Remains Committed to Iran Nuclear Deal - February 19th, 2018
- Russian FM Slams Calls to Halt Idlib Offensive - February 19th, 2018
- Turkish Officials Hope to Resolve Manbij Issues With Dialogue With US - February 19th, 2018
- Strikes Kill Scores in Syria's Eastern Ghouta in the Past 24 Hours - February 19th, 2018
- Israel Arming at Least Seven Syrian Rebel Groups - February 19th, 2018