With the ongoing “war within a war” among northern Syrian rebel factions the center of combat right now, reports say that Russia is using the opportunity to resupply the Syrian military.
Russian officials have yet to confirm the arms shipments, but sources quoted in Reuters say the supplies have included helicopter parts, armored vehicles, and guided bombs.
The US State Department said the reports were “concerning if true,” but Russia’s shipments have been primarily defensive in nature, and don’t violate international laws.
The pickup in shipments was such that some say Russia has likely been buying up surplus Soviet-era gear from Bulgaria, Romania and Ukraine to send there. Bulgaria has so far denied any involvement in the shipments.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi Coalition to Open Humanitarian Corridors Out of Yemen's Hodeidah Port - September 24th, 2018
- Trump Expects Announcement of Second Summit With North Korea 'Pretty Soon' - September 24th, 2018
- US Troops Will Remain in Syria, Officials Say - September 24th, 2018
- Bolton Slams Russia, Says S-300 Sale in Syria Is 'Significant Escalation' - September 24th, 2018
- Russia Will Provide S-300 Air Defense to Syria - September 24th, 2018