With the ongoing “war within a war” among northern Syrian rebel factions the center of combat right now, reports say that Russia is using the opportunity to resupply the Syrian military.
Russian officials have yet to confirm the arms shipments, but sources quoted in Reuters say the supplies have included helicopter parts, armored vehicles, and guided bombs.
The US State Department said the reports were “concerning if true,” but Russia’s shipments have been primarily defensive in nature, and don’t violate international laws.
The pickup in shipments was such that some say Russia has likely been buying up surplus Soviet-era gear from Bulgaria, Romania and Ukraine to send there. Bulgaria has so far denied any involvement in the shipments.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pakistan: We Won't Tolerate Drone Strikes on Our Soil - June 22nd, 2017
- Iraq PM: Destruction of Mosul Mosque Proves ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- Turkey: US Promised to Take Back Kurds' Arms After ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- White House Lobbying to Water Down Russia Sanctions Bill - June 22nd, 2017
- House Armed Services Committee Advances $640 Billion Military Spending Bill - June 22nd, 2017