Palestinians in Deir Istya awoke this morning to find serious damage done to their local mosque, with settlers having burned part of the building and spray-painted “Arabs out!” on the walls. Police say it was the third “price tag” attack in the first two weeks of 2014.
The attacks just continue a trend of massive increases in “price tag” strikes in 2013, and the UN has released its annual report showing that such strikes quadrupled in 2013 over the previous year, including multiple strikes on mosques, attacks on orchards, and assaults on Palestinian farmers.
Settlers opposed to the ongoing peace process have been launching “price tag” attacks on Palestinians to express their objection to peace, saying that they will exact a price for any deal that allows Palestinian statehood.
Though the Israeli government has made a big deal about opposing the attacks, they have done virtually nothing about them, with a handful of settlers questioned and serious charges virtually unheard of.
The US State Department also issued a statement urging Israeli law enforcement to “quickly investigate” the latest mosque attack, saying attacks on religious sites are unacceptable.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Ceasefire Announced for Part of Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 22nd, 2018
- Turkey Will Expel All Kurds From Border Unless Deal Reached With US - March 22nd, 2018
- Pentagon: Nukes Will Be Useless Without New Plutonium Cores - March 22nd, 2018
- State Dept. Announces $1 Billion in New Arms Sales to Saudis - March 22nd, 2018
- Mattis Says Saudis 'Part of the Solution' in Yemen - March 22nd, 2018