Israeli Arab leaders have insisted that they oppose the proposed “land swap” segment of the peace deal, which would see a number of Israeli Arab villages “traded” to Palestine for the major settlement blocs.
Arab MP Mohammed Baraka said the proposal reflected Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman’s “racist designs against Israeli Arabs,” while others termed the plan “ethnic cleansing.”
Lieberman has been the chief advocate of the deal, and has never really disputed the idea of ethnic cleansing, saying he would oppose any deal that doesn’t see large numbers of Arabs sent to Palestine.
Though many Israeli Arabs have been offended by the proposal, polls also show a significant percentage of them are open to the idea of eventually transferring into an independent Palestine. They just want to decide that themselves instead of being forcibly expelled.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi Airstrike Kills 20 Civilians in Southwest Yemen - April 20th, 2018
- North Korea Tones Down Anti-US Rhetoric as New South Korea Hotline Opens - April 20th, 2018
- Russia Says US Didn't Violate Red Lines During Syria Strike - April 20th, 2018
- UN Security Team Still Won't Let Inspectors Visit Douma - April 20th, 2018
- North Korea to Close Nuclear Testing Site - April 20th, 2018