The Obama Administration secretly deployed an unknown number of troops to Somalia in October, officials are now confirming, and those troops remain there to this day as “military advisers.”
They are the first US boots on the ground in Somalia since the calamitous 1993 deployment Operation Gothic Serpent, which was couched as a humanitarian deployment but ended with the Black Hawk Down incident and the deaths of massive numbers of civilians.
The new troops are coming under no such pretense, or indeed any pretense at all since the administration chose to keep the deployment secret from the American public for months on end.
Though the number of “military advisers” is believed to be fewer than two dozen at the moment, such deployments have often served as the vanguard for massive escalations, and protracted conflicts like the Vietnam War similarly began with the deployment of a handful of advisers.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Exodus From Eastern Ghouta as Syrian Army Appears to Near Victory - March 18th, 2018
- Pentagon Defends Keeping Niger Attacks Secret - March 18th, 2018
- Trump Administration Scrambles to Convince Congress Not to Halt Yemen War - March 18th, 2018
- Sen. Corker Predicts Trump Will Withdraw From Iran Deal in May - March 18th, 2018
- May Says Britain Considers More Steps Against Russia in Coming Days - March 18th, 2018