The ongoing battle between Obama and Senate hawks on Iran sanctions seem to be coming to a head, with a strong majority now behind the sanctions bill that would effectively kill diplomacy with Iran.
Though Majority Leader Harry Reid (D – NV) was aiming to just delay the vote for the time being, a majority co-sponsoring a bill makes it tough to ignore, and is nearing the level of a veto-proof majority that could overrule Obama and kill the talks.
The interim P5+1 deal obliges the US and other P5+1 members not to pass any new sanctions against Iran. Supporters of the bill have included a number of opponents of the deal, and with heavy support from Israeli lobbying factions, they aim to sabotage the pact after the fact.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Al-Qaeda Fighters Kill 22 Syrian Troops Near Idlib - November 16th, 2018
- US Opposes UNGA Resolution Calling on Israel to Return Golan Heights - November 16th, 2018
- US to Accuse Iran of Capacity to Violate Chemical Weapons Ban - November 16th, 2018
- Israel Coalition Falters as Netanyahu Takes Top Positions - November 16th, 2018
- Report: CIA Concludes Saudi Crown Prince Ordered Khashoggi's Murder - November 16th, 2018