Obama Pushes for Delay, But Hawks Near Veto-Proof Level
The ongoing battle between Obama and Senate hawks on Iran sanctions seem to be coming to a head, with a strong majority now behind the sanctions bill that would effectively kill diplomacy with Iran.
Though Majority Leader Harry Reid (D – NV) was aiming to just delay the vote for the time being, a majority co-sponsoring a bill makes it tough to ignore, and is nearing the level of a veto-proof majority that could overrule Obama and kill the talks.
The interim P5+1 deal obliges the US and other P5+1 members not to pass any new sanctions against Iran. Supporters of the bill have included a number of opponents of the deal, and with heavy support from Israeli lobbying factions, they aim to sabotage the pact after the fact.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel Attacks Third UN School in Gaza, Dozens Killed - July 29th, 2014
- Israel Broadens Targets in Gaza War: 1,262 Killed - July 29th, 2014
- Senators Say NSA Bill Falls Short on 'Reform' - July 29th, 2014
- ISIS Executes Hundreds in Tikrit Massacre - July 29th, 2014
- ISIS Video Shows Tikrit Executions, Warns Iraqi Soldiers Face the Same - July 29th, 2014