Obama Pushes for Delay, But Hawks Near Veto-Proof Level
The ongoing battle between Obama and Senate hawks on Iran sanctions seem to be coming to a head, with a strong majority now behind the sanctions bill that would effectively kill diplomacy with Iran.
Though Majority Leader Harry Reid (D – NV) was aiming to just delay the vote for the time being, a majority co-sponsoring a bill makes it tough to ignore, and is nearing the level of a veto-proof majority that could overrule Obama and kill the talks.
The interim P5+1 deal obliges the US and other P5+1 members not to pass any new sanctions against Iran. Supporters of the bill have included a number of opponents of the deal, and with heavy support from Israeli lobbying factions, they aim to sabotage the pact after the fact.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Growing Fear in Turkey as Detainees Disappear in State of Emergency - July 24th, 2016
- Amnesty: Credible Evidence Turkey Torturing Post-Coup Detainees - July 24th, 2016
- Erdogan Orders 1,000 Schools Closed as Purge Grows - July 24th, 2016
- Congressmen Push Dueling Plans for US Nuke Arsenal - July 24th, 2016
- Heavy Fighting in Manbij as ISIS Refuses Surrender Demand - July 24th, 2016