The ongoing battle between Obama and Senate hawks on Iran sanctions seem to be coming to a head, with a strong majority now behind the sanctions bill that would effectively kill diplomacy with Iran.
Though Majority Leader Harry Reid (D – NV) was aiming to just delay the vote for the time being, a majority co-sponsoring a bill makes it tough to ignore, and is nearing the level of a veto-proof majority that could overrule Obama and kill the talks.
The interim P5+1 deal obliges the US and other P5+1 members not to pass any new sanctions against Iran. Supporters of the bill have included a number of opponents of the deal, and with heavy support from Israeli lobbying factions, they aim to sabotage the pact after the fact.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Turkish Warplanes Pound Kurds, Thousands of Syrian Rebels Bused to Border - January 20th, 2018
- US Military's 'Prime Focus' Will Be Competing With Russia, China - January 19th, 2018
- NGO: US-Led Coalition Civilian Killings Tripled in Iraq and Syria in 2017 - January 19th, 2018
- Russia FM: US Creating 'Alternative Bodies of Authority' in Syria - January 19th, 2018
- US: Turkish Attack on Syrian Kurds 'Destabilizing' - January 19th, 2018