A number of Israeli Arab leaders, including MPs, have expressed strong opposition to proposals, pushed by Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman, to “swap” a large number of Arab towns to the Palestinians.
UAL MP Ahmed Tibi insisted Lieberman was alone in pushing the plan and that it wasn’t serious, but recently other reports have suggested the idea is being broached by Israeli officials to the US.
Lieberman pushed the idea again today, insisting he would never support any peace deal that didn’t include “exchanging” a large number of Israeli Arab people to the Palestinians as a basic condition.
With Naftali Bennett angrily condemning peace in general, Lieberman has tried to position himself as the moderate in the Israeli government, embracing the theory of a peace deal so long as it includes his demands.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-South Korea Spring War Games to Be Scaled Back This Year - March 21st, 2018
- Trump to Boost Exports of Lethal US Drones - March 20th, 2018
- Tests of Substance in Britain Poisoning Will Take Three Weeks - March 20th, 2018
- Iraq Approves Turkish Military Operations Against Border Kurds - March 20th, 2018
- Trump Praises Visiting Saudi Crown Prince, Focusing on Arms Sales - March 20th, 2018