The US drone strike today in Yemen was the first since one in the middle of the month which targeted a wedding convoy, killing 15 civilians. Today’s attack targeted a car in Hadramawt Province.
The strike destroyed a car, killing two people within. Neither were identified, but both were predictably labeled “al-Qaeda suspects” by the Yemeni government.
The Yemeni government has routinely called everyone killed in US strikes “suspects,” though almost none have been named, and was also quick to label the wedding convoy an al-Qaeda convoy before the truth came out.
The drone strikes largely target Yemen’s countryside, and locals have warned that the large number of civilian casualties are bringing considerable support to al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), since they are seen as the primary opponent to the US in the area.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Turkish Warplanes Pound Kurds, Thousands of Syrian Rebels Bused to Border - January 20th, 2018
- US Military's 'Prime Focus' Will Be Competing With Russia, China - January 19th, 2018
- NGO: US-Led Coalition Civilian Killings Tripled in Iraq and Syria in 2017 - January 19th, 2018
- Russia FM: US Creating 'Alternative Bodies of Authority' in Syria - January 19th, 2018
- US: Turkish Attack on Syrian Kurds 'Destabilizing' - January 19th, 2018