Bombs Targeted Rebel-Held Districts
As Syria’s civil war has dragged on, Syria’s military is relying more and more on barrel bombs to hit entrenched rebel targets. The makeshift munitions are just oil barrels full of explosives rolled out of the back of a helicopter.
The bombs are powerful, but extremely inaccurate, and tend to careen off target quite often, which in densely populated territory is a recipe for high civilian casualties.
This is the second major round of barrel bomb strikes in metro Aleppo this month, with a previous round targeted at a rebel headquarters likewise missing, hitting a nearby market and killing around 50 people.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Vows US Support for Egypt Junta - April 3rd, 2017
- Suspected Saudi Airstrikes Kill Eight Civilians in Yemen - April 3rd, 2017
- US Envoy: Syrians Don't Want Assad as Leader - April 3rd, 2017
- As ISIS Shrinks in Iraq, Shi'ite Militias Continue to Grow - April 3rd, 2017
- Police: 43 ISIS Killed, 32 Wounded in Eastern Afghanistan - April 3rd, 2017