It’s not unusual for Israeli officials to make allegations against Iran, nor is it unusual for those officials to provide no evidence to defend their claims. Today’s allegations are some of the most serious yet, however.
Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon claimed Iran is using its embassies across the world as “terrorist bases,” and also went on to say that Iran has been filling its diplomatic pouches with bombs.
Diplomatic pouches under embassy seal are not subject to inspection, and countries the world over have used this fact to smuggle items into, or more commonly out of, rival countries. Ya’alon’s claim against Iran though, again, comes with absolutely no evidence attached, or anything to suggest he didn’t simply make it up on the spot.
Ya’alon’s comments were made after a meeting with Guatemala’s President Perez. Iran doesn’t have a stand-alone embassy in Guatemala to begin with, and instead runs their bilateral ties out of the Iranian Embassy in Mexico.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Awash in US Arms, Vehicles, Complicate Afghan War - July 25th, 2017
- Blockading States Expand Qatar 'Terror' Blacklist - July 25th, 2017
- US SOCOM Chief Claims 60,000 to 70,000 ISIS Fighters Killed so Far - July 25th, 2017
- Trump Pledges Support for Lebanon's Anti-ISIS Push - July 25th, 2017
- Video Shows Six Minute Gunbattle in Which Jordan Guard Killed US Troops - July 25th, 2017