The Free Syrian Army has claimed to have killed at least 250 Hezbollah fighters today in fierce battles north of Damascus. They also claim to have “captured dozens” of others.
As usual for the Syrian war, the figures have not been independently verified, and will doubtless be contested by Hezbollah, which so far has put the death toll at 3.
There was fighting reported in metro Damascus, and particularly the north, as the Syrian military has taken over the town of Deir Attiyeh, along the highway between Damascus and Homs.
The town is one of the last rebel possessions in the south of Syria, and reflects the growing momentum of the civil war, with the military taking virtually total control of the south while the rebels solidify their control over the northwest, and Kurdish factions hold the northeast.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Assembling a Team for Upcoming North Korea Summit - March 16th, 2018
- US Shifts Toward Harsher Stance on Russia With Sanctions and Condemnation - March 16th, 2018
- Putin Furious After Britain Says He Ordered Attack - March 16th, 2018
- Cluster Bombs Reportedly Dropped on Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 16th, 2018
- Turkey Attacks Hospital in Syria's Afrin, Killing Nine - March 16th, 2018