The P5+1 deal with Iran may be finalized, but keeping it intact is still a battle, as the sanctions relief in the deal is under immediate threat from the US Congress, where hawks are threatening to impose more sanctions on Iran.
For some, like Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R – GA), the argument is that Iran is in a weak position right now and the sanctions could really stick it to them and dictate even harsher terms. Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif is warning that new sanctions would kill the deal, however, and for many Congressmen, that’s the whole point.
President Obama has opposed new sanctions, and is set to veto any such sanctions bills, meaning Congress would have to try to override a veto if it really wants to kill the deal. That would be extremely difficult, but with the Israeli lobbies behind them on the issue, a battle is looming.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Attacks Afghan Taliban Commander's House, Killing 15 - July 17th, 2018
- Trump: No Time Limit for Denuclearization of North Korea - July 17th, 2018
- Afghan Govt Rejects Idea of US-Taliban Peace Talks - July 17th, 2018
- Israeli Army Told to Prepare for Large-Scale Invasion of Gaza - July 17th, 2018
- Lawmakers, Media Look to Undermine US-Russia Detente - July 17th, 2018