No matter how many US officials insist that they are totally committed to Israel unconditionally, the soaring tension between the two nations is evident, and Israel’s open lobbying against US diplomatic overtures to Iran is just the beginning.
That’s because the Obama Administration has myriad ambitions across the Middle East, and Israel is more than tangentially involved in a lot of them. The tensions are likely to spillover into some or all of those venues.
The most obvious situation is the Palestinian peace talks, which Israel has been on the verge of destroying at any rate, but having repeatedly tied Palestinian statehood to Iran, the Netanyahu government may have a tailor-made excuse to kill the talks outright.
US intervention in Syria’s civil war and its policy toward Egypt are also open to considerable Israel interference, and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu seems inclined toward petty needling on any issue that presents itself to display its displeasure toward the US.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Catalans Rally at Barcelona Parliament, Push for Independence - October 21st, 2017
- Turkey: Kurdish Banner in Raqqa Proves US Sided With Terrorists - October 20th, 2017
- Many Afghan Troops Run Away While in US to Train - October 20th, 2017
- Spain to Start Catalonia Takeover Saturday - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Deaths Highlight Growing US Involvement in Africa - October 20th, 2017